Asian Handicap betting is a concept you may have come across often, especially in online sports betting, however, even some of the most experienced punters might be unaware of what is Asian handicap betting. In brief, Asian handicap betting is a special kind of handicap betting. In handicap betting, the bookies give the underdogs a virtual lead (to even out the odds). This virtual lead is given by handicapping or by placing a handicap. Betting in such a way is known as handicap betting. This virtually eliminates the chances of the outcome of a “Draw” by placing Handicap on the favourites of the match. This guide will serve as your one stop destination to help you find the answers and explanations pertaining to what is Asian handicap betting. Once you know what is Asian handicap betting, you can add it to your betting strategy.
To help you get a better understanding of what is Asian handicap betting, here are a few takeaways:
- Asian handicap betting features no draw.
- When an accumulator is used, there is less number of total outcomes (Draw is eliminated). This increases the chances of a punter winning on the bet.
- Depending upon the handicap set, you can still win the bet even if the team you placed your bet upon loses.
- Fixed odds give a better payout while betting on the underdogs as compared to Asian handicap betting.
What is Asian Handicap Betting – Guide
In order to start placing your Asian Handicap bets, you first need to understand what is Asian handicap betting. For a clear understanding, here are some pointers:
What is Asian Handicap Betting?
Before the information begins to roll out regarding Asian handicap betting explained – Table, odds and rules, you first need to keep one thing in mind. This type of betting is towards the advanced side of things. If you are still struggling with more basic types of bets, check out our other betting guides made specifically for this purpose. So, Asian Handicap is that type of bet which helps the bookmakers to even out the imbalances between the two different team compositions when they are facing each other. This is achieved by placing a handicap on the team, which is most likely to win that particular game. Football is the one of the most popular sports in which Asian Handicap betting is used because a draw is a very common outcome there.
Let us take an example from football. Every year in the English Premier League, each team draws with the other twice during the course of an entire season. There are plenty of small teams like Saints (Southampton), Blackburn Rovers and big sharks like Manchester United, Man City and Liverpool etc. Now if Man U was to play Blackburn, the betting odds will be heavily skewed in favor of the Reds.
When comparing the winning pot with the risk involved, the bets are just not worth it. To even out the odds a handicap will be placed on either the team winning or losing by subtracting or adding goals from their final tally. What is this Handicap? Handicap here refers to the number of goals added or subtracted from the final tally of the team winning or losing. In the example taken earlier, to even out the odds bookies will place the Handicap on united.
How to place an Asian Handicap bet?
Apart from knowing what is Asian handicap betting, you also need to know that Asian Handicap betting can be different for different sports. For the above example, the Asian handicap can be placed in two ways.
- By placing it on the winning team: When the bookies place the Handicap on the winning team, then they subtract the handicap amount from their final goal tally. So, if a Handicap of -1 is set on United against Blackburn and the game ended in a 1-1 draw. All bets placed on United’s win will automatically lose. Because the bookie will see this scoreline as United 0 (1 minus the one from the Handicap) Blackburn 1.
- By placing it on the losing team: In this case, the handicap amount is added to their final goal tally. So, let us say the Handicap decided on Blackburn is +1. The game again ends in a 1-1 draw. Yet again all the bets placed on united loses. Because for the bookie the effective score line becomes United 1 Blackburn 2 (1 + 1 from the Handicap).
What is an Asian Handicap table?
To maintain the Asian Handicap calculations, generelly, punters maintain an Asian Handicap table. If you are confident in what is Asian handicap betting, you can set up a table for yourself as well. This table is divided into two parts – Betting on the Favourites and Betting on the Underdogs. Each of these parts are subdivided into three columns: Handicap, both Team’s z Result and Bet Result. The Handicap will feature handicapping odds like -0.25, -1.25 (for favourites) and +0.25, +1.25 (for underdogs). The term result will display the outcome of the match and finally the bet result will display the outcome of your bet.
What are the various kinds of Asian Handicap or Asian handicap betting odds?
Now, that you know ‘what does asian handicap mean’ there are quite a few different ways in which you can place your Asian handicap bet. The term of Asian Handicap odds is nothing but the various odds offered by the bookies. They are:
- Asian Handicap Full line: In layman terms, the full line refers to placing the Handicap of an integral value (+1,-1, +2,-2 and so on). For example in the case of Liverpool against Crystal Palace, if you place your bet on Palace +1 or Liverpool -2 this type of betting will be called as Asian Handicap full line betting. In the particular case of betting Palace +2, you win if Palace loses by one goal, you get your money back if they lose by two goals and you lose the bet if they lose by a margin of more than two goals.
- Asian Handicap Half Line: Half line refers to when a handicap placed is the multiple of 0.5 (+0.5,-0.5, +1.5,-1.5, +2.5,-2.5). For example, if you were to place your bet on Liverpool -1.5 or Palace +1.5, then these types of bet are known as Asian Handicap half-line. Since in football half a goal is unachievable this eliminates any chances for the team to draw. In the case of betting for Palace +1.5, you win if the team wins or loses by a maximum of 1 goal or draws. You lose if Palace loses by two goals or more.
- Asian Handicap Quarter Line: They are the ones which end with a 0.25. The main difference here is that if the quarter line is -0.25 and your team draws, then you get half your stake back while the other half is taken by the bookie. As for a -0.75 quarter line if the team wins with one goal, then your stake gets divided, and you only get half of it back.
What is Asian Total:
- Asian total Full line: This is the Asian handicap betting but for the total amount of goals. In full-line betting, you only get to choose integer values. So, if you bet on Asian total to be over 1, you get your money back if there is only one goal in the game. You win if there are more than 2.
- Asian Total Half line: Same as the Handicap half lines. For a +0.75 Asian total odds, your stake gets divided, and you get half back if there are no goals. You win if there are more than two goals.
What other guides & strategies are available?
So, you are now aware of what is Asian handicap betting after Asian handicap betting explained – Table, odds and rules, Asian Handicap is a major betting strategy but it is quite convoluted. It is not recommended for novice punters. Even if you are an experienced punter, it will help if you know how odds work and how bookmakers work before you enter the realm of Asian handicap betting. There are many strategies that you can combine with Asian Handicap betting which will eventually help you in the long run. Other betting strategies which you can tie up with Asian Handicap betting are: how to do matched betting, how does accumulator betting work, and what is 1×2 betting.
We hope that this guide has helped you in boosting your understanding of what is Asian Handicap betting and what does Asian Handicap mean. If you want to try this type of betting out, our experts recommend that you place your bets on football. Since football is the most popular sport to place your Asian handicap bet on and identification of the strong team and weak team in each match up is not very difficult either. Finally remember, Asian handicap betting differs from your traditional handicap betting because it has a feature of offering the punter their stake (or half the stake) back.
Always try to learn more about Asian Handicap betting, what is Asian handicap betting and understand it fully before attempting to place bets on it. Gambling Guy offers immense resources, guides, strategies like Football betting strategy, Cricket betting strategy, Golf Betting Strategy, Greyhound Betting Strategy, Inplay Tennis Betting strategy, and Value Bet Strategy etc, and tips to help you become the best punter you can be, while our operator reviews and comparisons help you find the best operator to bet on.